Friday 29 May 2015

Gabhaibh air ur socair, SOL!

I apologise for the delay since my last post, but this is kind of a #sorrynotsorry apology as I've been having lots of fun on holiday. I've still managed to squeeze in some Gaelic though.

I'm at episode 13 now as I found them all on YouTube and so I'm skipping ahead of what's currently on BBC Alba. And it's really picking up the pace in terms of what you learn. Here are some of the phrases from episode 13:

B'aill leibh?                          -         Pardon?/Come again?
Gabhaibh air ur socair          -         Take it easy/Slow down (polite/plural)
Gabh air do shocair              -         Take it easy/Slow down (informal singular)
Can sin a-rithist                    -         Say that again
Dè thuirt sibh?                      -         What did you say?
Chan eil mi a' tuigsinn           -         I don't understand
Chan eil fhios agam              -         I don't know
Dè tha sin a' ceallachadh?    -         What does that mean?

As you can see, the phrases are becoming more complicated. I was laughing with Tormod about this episode and about the silly scenarios that you see in them. In one of the scenarios for Gabh air do shocair, a young boy is stuffing his face with a sandwich when his mother says "Gabh air do shocair". I can only imagine the directional instructions to the boy:

"OK, now I want you to take that sandwich, and keep taking bites out of it without swallowing until the "mother" tells you to slow down. Got it? Really jam it in your craw. OK. And aaaction!"

More to come once I'm back at home in the real world again... While I've been on holiday I've really taken the instruction gabh air do shocair to heart ;-) ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment