Monday 18 May 2015

Laithean-Saora!

I'm going on holiday and I hope to learn some more Gaelic while I'm away. I think I need to be a bit more systematic in learning it. I've decided I'll listen to An Litir Beag more often, noting down vocabulary. I think this is the best way to learn vocabulary and certain common grammar structures.

I also plan to nag Tormod a bit more about speaking Gaelic. We don't really chat in Gaelic at all when we meet, but I would like to try out some sentences on him. I want to make sure that my pronunciation is acceptable at least. Once of my biggest uncertainties is the pronunciation of the slender "r", i.e. the "r" when preceded or followed by "e" or "i". When listening, I often hear a sort of soft "th" sound, but at other times I hear a more normal-sounding "r".

I also hope to talk about Gaelic resources and their available and usefulness, especially when compared to resources for learning other languages.

Till then, here's Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh


No comments:

Post a Comment